Everyday and more we learn new things that we never knew before. Most of these ‘hack’ that will help you get through life easier, and believe me none of the things you’re about to see below are the things that you learned in school. Remember all the math, chemistry, biology lessons which you’re teachers said you’re going to need them later in life, well let’s just finally admit that’s a lie.
Thanks to the Today I Learned’ subreddit, you’ll be able to learn some very interesting facts. With 25.2 million members, this group shares some of the greatest hacks that will open your eyes to many new things in life.
We’ve made a collection of some of the greatest lesson that no school will ever teach you. Scroll down below to get your mind blown with the new things you’re about to learn.
1. TIL Every fall, Alaska’s Katmai National Park hosts “Fat Bear Week” and crowns the park’s fattest brown bear. The aim is to highlight the park and wildlife conservation.
2. TIL That serotonin, the neurotransmitter responsible for happiness, can be toxic. When injected into skin it causes extreme pain and is a main ingredient of wasp venom
3. TIL laminated safety glass was invented by chemist Édouard Bénédictus after a lab accident in 1903. A glass flask coated with the plastic cellulose nitrate was dropped, shattering but not breaking into pieces. In 1909 he filed a patent, after hearing of a car accident causing injury by glass debris.
4. Today I learned about the Driftless Area; a rugged area of Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota, and a minor part of Illinois that was completely missed by glaciers. It is roughly the size of West Virginia, and is home to huge bluffs, deep canyons, and rare species of plants found no where else.
5. TIL that in State v. Linkhaw, the North Carolina Supreme Court reversed the conviction of a man who sang so badly in church that a jury had found him guilty of “disturbing a religious congregation.”
6. TIL that citrus trees are almost always grafted and need to have their “suckers” removed if they’re growing from the original rootstock (below the grafting point). Letting them grow could overtake the “scion” variety meant to produce the edible fruit. The rootstock fruit is usually watery and bland
7. TIL Neither the FBI or New York recorded the 9/11 attack in the crime statistics report for 2001. They claimed this single event would skew the entire crime statistics program and therefore could not be counted as deaths in New York.
8. TIL that lithium, which is used to tread bipolar disorder, is found in a water supply, there is a reduction in the amount of violence and suicide in that population.
9. TIL The length of the Great Wall of China is more than half the circumference of the Earth
10. TIL that baby owls sleep down on their stomach because their heads are too heavy. They do that until they are large enough to sleep upright.
11. TIL Jerry Lewis never wore the same pair of socks twice. He would wear two or three brand-new pairs of sweat socks every day, going through up to 1000 pairs a year since the early 1950s. They were inexpensive and he paid retail. After wearing them once they were donated to orphanages or boys’ homes.
12. TIL during the Vietnam war, many American soldiers stationed in Japan went AWOL and fled to Sweden. Swedish PM Palme was vehemently against the war and promised that he would grant asylum to deserters.
13. TIL seahorse couples greet each other every morning with a dance, which sometimes involves changing colour. It is a way of reinforcing their bond and synchronising their reproductive cycles.
14. TIL country singer Loretta Lynn had more songs banned from radio than every other male country artist combined in the 20th century.
15. TIL that the CT scanner was invented by an electrical engineer working for EMI, the record company that signed the Beatles. His name was Godfrey Hounsfield and he performed the first CT in history by scanning his own brain.
16.TIL Jim Henson originally wanted the Muppets to be for adults and didn’t see his characters as a vehicle for children’s education and family entertainment. Indeed, the first envisioned something closer to South Park rather than Sesame Street and in the 1950s they did dark comedy in commercials.
17. TIL The lack of an Oxford comma in the wording of a state law laying out what activities qualify a worker for overtime pay, more than 120 drivers for the Oakhurst Dairy became eligible for a multi-million settlement for unpaid overtime.
18. TIL that in 585 B.C., a solar eclipse occurred in the middle of a battle between the Lydians and the Medes. The darkening sky was interpreted as a sign by the soldiers, so they stopped fighting. As a result, a six-year war was ended.
19. TIL Joseph Strauss, the engineer of the golden Gate Bridge, mandated that a net be installed under the bridge for safety while being built. This was revolutionary at the time. The net caught 19 men who fell, saving all of them from a certain death.
20. TIL A Stolen teddy bear with dying mother’s voice has been returned after actor Ryan Reynolds, celebrities offered a $15,000 reward
20 Annoying and Unrealistic Myths That People Unfortunately Still Believe
Since we were kids, we got influenced by our parents/grandparents and the myths they told us. Society has grown through time, but there are some things that haven’t changed since the dawn of time. Things vary from culture to culture, but there are a lot of myths that people disguise as common knowledge, and we just follow them as an unwritten law. However, a lot of these myths are quite annoying. Considering the modern and technological advanced world we live in, we like to have proof of everything in order to believe it.
One reddit user, u/Eichberg, asked a question. What is an annoying myth people still believe? This question sparked some fire on the internet and around 20k people had something to share relating to it. A lot of people shared the myths they know or believe, and we made a list of some of them. Therefore, scroll down below to check it out. And if there’s another myth you know, feel free to use the comment section and share it with us.
You have to wait 24 hours before filing a missing person report – popthetab
Fish only have a 5-second memory. My fish are fed automatically on a timer and they know dinner time better than my goddamn cat. – Osr0
The Great Wall of China is the only man-made structure visible from space. First of all, it’s not, and second, other ones are.
EDIT: It’s not visible from space with the naked eye, defining “space” in the usual way as starting 62 miles up. – Plug_5
If you lift your hands above your head while pregnant you will strangle the baby. I am sure it was started by smart women who didn’t want to do all the housework while pregnant and tired. I still hear it every now and again. – Letmetellyowhat
Black belts have to register their fists as weapons… I can’t believe I was dumb enough to fall for that. What’s more interesting than that is one of the reasons (If not the only reason) that the myth propagated:
Wrestlers and well-known martial artists back in the day we’re constantly being challenged in their personal time at bars and stuff. This got super annoying and they just wanted to have peace without people trying to fight them all the time.
Many of these fighters learned that having a “lethal fists” card that they could display gave them an excuse to turn down fights without an argument for fear of “accidentally killing them”. It also worked as a deterrent.- codered434
Bulls get angry when they see the color red…- popthetab
That vaccines cause autism, are made by the government to control you etc etc – Bona-fide1·
It’s not really annoying per se but the tongue map thing. The entire tongue tastes all flavors – xXBlitzz
That you get warts from frogs. Warts come from the human papilloma virus and come from contact with the virus through broken skin. It is a human specific virus and cannot be spread through different species.
Edit: Apparently people don’t realize that toads are a type of frog. Yes, the myth is about toads but frogs can also be included if they have bumpy skin. Most people can’t tell the difference between toads and frogs anyway.-mtn-cat .
That violence in the world is getting worse and worse. Actually, in relation to the world’s population we live in the most non-violent era in history. The problem is that, while 500 years ago you might have not even heard all the news from within your city, we can now hear all the horrible news from all over the world (and we’re also more people). But still, human interaction and conflict in general is much less violent than it used to be. – mediocre_medstudent1
That if you touch a baby bird, its mother will abandon it because of the smell. Birds actually have a very bad sense of smell.- grmidnight
A lot of commonly believed stuff about the female reproductive system/anatomy, like vaginas getting loose if a woman has a lot of sex, or that having a lot of sex somehow drastically changes the look of a woman’s labia.-iswearimalady