Nature is a surprising thing. Animals and plants can often deviate from the norm, like how penguin eggs can turn clear from the heat. Even when you think you understand the rules of life, there is always that strange exception proving that nature has a lot of things in store for us.
Here we have collected various photos that basically say: don’t toy with Mother Nature…she’s too busy toying with us!
1. Unfortunate timing
Reddit | katiebethwelch
A haboob, or dust storm, met up with a rainstorm over this town. As you might expect, dust + rain = mud.
2. This snail has room to spare
That’s one snail with two shells — wonder if one is a summer shell it uses to get away from it all.
3. These aren’t cucumber slices. They’re lime slices.
Reddit | you_thought_it_first
4. Your eyes are not deceiving you — those pine cones are indeed blue
Apparently, some varieties of fir can grow blue cones.
5. Guess this guy will be shaving for the rest of his life
Reddit | RichSlamfist
Growing a beard would just look weird when your whiskers only grow on one cheek, don’t you think?
6. The things vet techs notice sometimes amazes me.
The little infinity symbol swirls on this doggo’s toes. Here’s hoping they bring good luck to the pooch!
7. This tulip has a single two-toned petal.
8. On a much larger two-toned scale, check this out.
It’s actually three different trees — two red and one green — but they’ve grown together so well that they look like a single tree.
9. I guess sometimes eggs are laid without shells.
Reddit | Yogibear
10. This snake has snazzier facial hair than I ever will.
Reddit | wpen
11. The little fungus that could?
Reddit | DeliciousNoonNap
It takes a determined mushroom to force its way up from the earth through asphalt.
12. Speaking of determination, how about a tomato plant growing out of a drain?
Reddit | eyadsd
13. When nature provides its splendorous bounty.
Reddit | Filthy_Weeb_Slayer
14. There was an accidental Van Gogh inside this log.
Reddit | TeePost
I don’t know whether you call it “Starry Wood” or “Woody Night” but either way, nature did some art here.
15. When plants want sunlight, they go for it
Reddit | glorygonememory
Never seen a cactus reach out an arm like that for the precious vitamin D before.
16. Not what you would expect to see if someone told you this was a crystal, right?
Reddit | oveikko
17. Now this looks more properly mineral, at least in shape.
Reddit | ExoticCrystals
In color, it’s not so vibrant, or shiny, but it IS unusual, which is because there’s iron in that there quartz, causing the rusty hue.
18. This person marveled at the odd length of their fingers.
Reddit | BadOrange84
19. And then there’s this person’s oddly jointed thumb.
Reddit | Afiqypls
20. Speaking of good party tricks and thumb joints…
Reddit | Raice19