Our parents weren’t always parents. They were once young and fun and wild, then they became parents.
It is a big shock for some kids to learn that their parents had a life before them. A life that was actually cool, a life that was cooler than theirs. It’s a complete shock to them. Especially after all the dad jokes and mom jeans they’ve heard and seen over the years. But once they find photo proof, there’s little they can do to deny it.
Today, many of us are obsessed with vintage stuff, from clothes and music to wishing we had grown up in the 60s. Sometimes, we tend to forget that our dear parents were the ones who started all these trends we now admire.
On the internet, a lot of kids are now sharing pictures of their parents when they were young and hip, and it is pretty much safe to say that they were about a hundred times cooler than us.
Here are some awesome vintage pictures of cooler parents. From crazy skateboard tricks to fishing off of nuclear submarines, it looks like they sure knew how to have fun back in the day!
1. My Dad Skateboarding At Hyde School 1982. I Think He Was Cooler Than Me.
2. My Mother and Father Being Young and Awesome on Santorini Island, Greece, 1985. I Was Conceived There.
3. My Cool Af Dad at 19 (1973).
4. My Dad and His Cousins, Back in the Day. I Don’t Think the Cool Gene Was Passed Down to Me.
5. Late 1960’s, My Dad.
6. My Dad, Taken for Surfer Magazine. Peru, 1977.
7. My Mother When She Was a Tank Instructor in 1984.
8. My Dad Sculpting a Bust of My Mom 1980s.
9. I Found a Photo of My Dad Cooking a Barbecue on Top of a Moving Submarine.
10. My Mother Skateboarding Barefoot in California in 1974
11. A Friend of My Father’s, Telling Off a Klan Member. Auburn Al, 1985.
12. My Dad Wasn’t Famous, but His Moves Were Pretty Cool (1977).
13. My Moms Selfie Before It Was Cool (1989).
14. My Mom and Dad on Their Wedding Day – 1980.
15. My Dad in Saudi Arabia in the 70’s Working as a Us Military Contractor Diving in the Red Sea.
16. My Dad in the 70’s Doing What He Loves. Father to 4 Boys. More Man Than Myth or Legend.
17. My Mom When She Lived in Alaska With Her Husky Puppy, Okie.
18. My Dad’s First Car, a 1939 Ford. He Bought It With His Own Money That He Earned Farming (and Drove It Daily). He Was 11 When He Bought It, So This Photo Was Taken in 1948.
19. My Dad Teaching Math in Southern California (Late 70’s/early 80’s).
20. Mom’s ‘garden’ 1980’s
21. My Mom Working at Nasa, 1974.
22. 48 Beers and a Unicycle. My Dad in the early 80s.
23. So I Was Going Through Some Old Photos and I Found This. My Dad Holding Magic Johnson and Looking Incredibly Bad-ass While Doing It.
24. Me Looking Up to My Fighter Pilot Dad in the Late 1980’s.
25. My Mom Skating With a Broken Wrist in the Late 70’s.
26. My Dad in Alaska, Circa 1980. I Hope to Be Half the Man He is One Day.
27. Mom Wasn’t the Pilot, but She Was a Tech on the F-4 Phantom Back in the 80’s.
28. My Father in 1982. When I Asked Him What He Was Doing in This Photo, He Said, “Shooting an Album Cover. Duh”.
29. My Dad in France in the ’70s (Ryan Gosling Might Need a Paternity Test).
30. My Mom Winning the Pie Eating Contest by Beating All the Boys, 1950.
31. When My Dad Was 16, He Entered His Name in a Drawing, for What He Thought Was a Sports Jacket, at a Local Shoe Store. The Drawing Was Actually for a 1967 Shelby Gt500. He Won.
32. My Friend’s Dad Trained Seals in the Navy. This Was What His Everyday Job Looked Like.
33. My Mom at 16 Yrs Old With Her Camaro in 1975.
34. My Dad Being Infinitely Cooler Than I’ll Ever Be (1980).
35. My Mom in Moscow, 1975. From All the Stories She’s Told Me About Her Travels, I Wouldn’t Be Surprised if She Was a Spy.